Re: Metal etching

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Metal etching
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 12:24:56 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 13 Feb 1996 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> Problem:  The aluminum door handles on my Arnolt seem to have expanded inward
> over the years.  They are serrated and are supposed to fit over a similarily
> serrated steel gizzy that is part of the door mechanism but they don't.  they
> are now two small in diameter.
>
> I of course want an easy fix...I've tried fileing with a triangluar file for
> hours on end with out getting anywhere so I would think that some kind of
> acid could just poured into the handles and it would remove 5 thou, I would
> neutralize it and I'm there???

Bring it over; I bet my Dremel tool can take care of it toot de sweet.

OK, OK, I'm kidding.  What I would do is give them a good close inspection
under a dissecting microscope, to see if I could figure out what has
happened.  It's hard to see how the fit would change except by corrosion
or by their being hit so they are no longer the same shape as their mating
part.  If there is corrosion, I would try phosphoric acid.  (How on earth
did you get them apart, and were they ever intended to come apart?)

Not all that familiar with the Wacky innards of Arnolt MGs, I remain yr.
fthfl. svt.

 Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910