Re: Brake Fluid Loss/MG1100

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>, thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid Loss/MG1100
From: Andrew Gibson +44 1634 816918 <andrew.gibson@gecm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 13:08:18 +0000 (GMT)
Morning All,

>> The brake servo was offered as an optional extra in the UK before '74.  A
'70

The main optional extras in the UK at that time were Wire Wheels, Overdrive
and Brake Servo.

>> BGT I had many years ago didn't have one.  It's a remote servo unit (only
>> hydraulically connected to the master cylinder), fitted at the back of the
>> engine bay on the opposite side to the master cylinders, same side as the
>> carburettors, that's the left side in my RHD car.  I would have thought
that
>> LHD cars would have had the equivalent space on the right side, or did they
>> put something else there?

>The pedals go with the steering wheel, so LHD cars have the master cylinders
>on the same side as the carburettors.

Thanks Denise, but I had managed to figure that out for myself!

>If the remote servo in your car is the same as the ones in an MGC, the remote
>servos from a Volvo P-1800 are a more reliable replacement.

The Volvo P-1800 is a pretty rare beast in the UK.  A service kit for my servo
arrived in the post this morning, so that's the way I'm going this time.

Glad to see that someone's keeping the MG1100 alive over there. Was the MG1300
also sold in the US?  The Austin/Morris/Wolseley/MG/1100/1300/1300GT/Riley
Kestrel (all slight variations on the same car) was a best seller in the UK in
the 60's, but they did rust badly and not many were saved from the breakers.
I seem to recall that the Austin 1100 was sold as the Austin America (or was
it Austin Atlantic?) over there?  I'm sorry to say that the only one I've
owned was a scrap Austin 1300 that I robbed of it's 1275 engine/box for my
Mini.

Andy

Andy Gibson
GEC-Marconi Avionics