Re[2]: MGA Brake Problem & Update

To: mgs@autox.team.net, KeithB227@aol.com
Subject: Re[2]: MGA Brake Problem & Update
From: Chuck Simmers <Chuck_Simmers@ccm.ch.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 96 12:45:45 PST
Text item:

KeithB227@aol.com wrote:

> Some might recal that I wrote:
>
> >>My '57 MGA has the stock drum brakes on the rear but the DPO installed
> early
> MGB disc brakes on the front.  The brakes work well but brake pedal travel is
> excessive (pedal travels over half-way before it's solid).  Pedal travel is
> normal/short after one or more pumps of the pedal.  The DPO says he just got
> used to always giving the pedal a pump to bring it up.
>
> Since there was over 10 years of very little use and one rear wheel cylinder
> was leaking a little, I overhauled the rear wheel cylinders, brake master
> cylinder, and clutch master cylinder.  All appeared to be in good shape
> except for deteriorating rubber.  After getting everything back together and
> bleeding the system the pedal travel is now just as excessive as before.  I
> have the rear drums adjusted correctly (one click shy of lock-up), the front
> pads look good, I've bled the system over again, and there are no leaks or
> loss of brake fluid, but pedal travel is still over half-way to the floor
> before it's solid.  After one or two pumps the pedal is solid with short
> travel.
>
> Keith Baer

Keith and All..
     It's funny until this thread started I hadn't realised that my '66
     Spridget does exactly the same thing. All new brake parts, bled and
     bled again, still needs a double-pump to get a firm peddle. Anybody
     got any clues?

     Chuck Simmers
     Chuck_Simmers@ccm.ch.intel.com

I to have a similar problem on my 72 MGB/GT.  If I just press once
on the brakes
while coming to a stop, the response is very slow braking.  (i.e., not much
braking power.)  If I press once, let up, then press again, it gets much
firmer, and the braking response is much better.  The PO had it in
to an MG shop,
and they bled and bled and bled, but no difference was never realized.  Hmm..
Perhaps it's another MG mystery?

Dave Hall
dhall@vcd.hp.com

Text item: External Message Header