Another B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another B
From: FirDarreg@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 14:13:06 -0500
Rick:

Before converting any car that's been sitting that long to a driver,
especially one on blocks with some body/sill damage, I'd check and make sure
those sills are in fairly good shape and the body hasn't lost structural
integrity.

Check the door sills carefully; this is a three-part structural member which
contributes to the body stiffness of the car.  You can't see the interior
member easily, and it often holds water and corrodes away.  Open and close
the doors, both sides. Check the distance between the top of the trailing
edge of the doors and the bottom, where they meet the sills. The distance
should be uniform down the car. If you find a significant difference, double
check to make sure it's not due to a spring in the door itself; if not, it's
likely due to the structure of the car having corroded away to the point
where it's, IMHO, unsafe to drive.

I've seen a LOT of B's which have been wrecked, and I'm often amazed at the
fact that the passenger compartment is relatively untouched in accidents
which were fatal to the B itself. (Friend owns a body shop, and I work for
him there off and on as mechanic)  However, I've seen a few which have
doubled up like folding wallets, and in every case the direct cause was a
loss of structural integrity in the sills, floor pans, and rail end area.
 Though philosophically inclined to save every MG I see, I'm realistic enough
to realise that one which has any moderat-to-severe body sag is fit only for
donations to other, healthier B's. (or needs a frame-such-as-it-is up
restoration)

Two quick checks on the motor: pull all the spark plugs and try to turn the
fan on the end of the water pump by hand. If it won't move atall, the engine
is likely siezed.  If you can, remove the oil pan (15-20 minute operation
after draining the oil) and shine a torch up into the block. Check the
camshaft, rod-end bearings, and crankshaft for wear.  Good quick visual
indicator into the condition of the motor.

Hope the one you found turns out to be salvageable!

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'