Re: Brake Problems - Fix it, or don't drive!!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Problems - Fix it, or don't drive!!!
From: NICL@sedproc.cr.usgs.GOV (Alan Bol)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 14:13:36 -0700
Mr. Fischer is sure adamant,  Well he's right.
So HOW Do you bleed the brakes.
I use a pressure bleed system that I bought from MOSS.
It has a 1L bottle that you fill with brake fluid, a line you attach to a
cap for the brake reservoure, and an air input line which is supposed to
attach to a spare tire.  I use a regulator to my aircompresser.  Make sure
the input pressure is about 5PSI or the cap will blow off the reservour and
make a BIG mess.
I adjust the rear drum brakes ... so they are locked! This compresses the
volume in the brake cylinders to their smallest amount  so you have a
chance at getting the air out of the bottom mounted bleed nipples.
(something I never understood about this setup, dosn't air go up?)
Start with the longest pipe first,Left Rear on my B, then the next longest
(Right Rear), then Right Front then Left front.

If you don't have the pressure bleeder, do the pump method, use a second
person.  I have them press, then open the bleeder.  when the pedal hits the
floor, CLOSE the bleeder,then have them lift the pedal ( I try and close
the bleeder just before the flow stops, this for sure prevents air from
leaking back into the cylinder.), then repeat until you get the clean new
fluid coming through with no bubbles.
When all the air is out,  then reset the rear brakes.
If the brakes are still spongy, do it again.
This seems to work for me.
 I have been accused of being anal about bleeding ALL my brakes when I
should only need to bleed the set that I just worked on,  so be it, I
believe you MUST bleed ALL the brakes at the same time, even if you have
two seperate systems, as the later cars do.

OK, OK, I'm sorry if this is old hat for some of you, but I've run across
some who don't know how, thought I'd pass on my method.

If someone has a better method, I'd love to hear it, always interested in
different ways of working on my lbc's.
Geoff Hargreaves,
in Denver CO, with a 73 BGT (daily driver), 58 A coupe, 56 A dhc.