Painting you own car at home...

To: fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us, british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Painting you own car at home...
From: Motorheadx@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 10:12:17 -0500
n provide BG needles for your MGA.  I wonder, though, if the
symptom warrants further testing and diagnosis.  In general a change of
needles will produce a fairly subtle change.

     We would proceed  in the following way:

     Compression test
     Check for air leaks
     Adjust valves and replace gasket
     Replace Ignition parts (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, points & condenser) &
adjust
     Clean and adjust carburetters and replace/clean filters

     Once you are certain that these items are correct then you can look to
less likely causes of the symptom.  Check for sediment in the float bowls,
fuel pump pressure and flow, ancient ignition coil etc.

     By using this method you can be confident that for about a year, you can
trace any running problems to some cause outside of tuning.  This method
saves time by assuring you of what is not the culprit.

Have fun,

Jeff
Motorhead
2811-B Old Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22031
(800) 527-3140
Home of daily drivers

Does anybody know of a good source (I know look in the monster list) for
odd ball SU needles. I'm looking for a set of BG needles. A friend of mine
who was a BMC/BL Mechanic in the sixties recomended it for my
increasingling mutant MGA. I just transplanted the engine from my burnt up
1600 into a 1500 I bought last summer. It's got a Mark II head and hotter
cam with what looks like a MGB header, sounds great but just doesn't want
to get up and go. I'm picking up a set of stock 1600 needles on the way
home, that should help, it's currently running with stock 1500 needles (I
think, never took the carbs apart).

Thanks, Lane