MGA frames (was: dash with cigar lighter)

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA frames (was: dash with cigar lighter)
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 96 10:02:06 PST
Lew Palmer asked:

>  >and painted them different colors just to confuse
> >us (like T-type firewalls and A frames).  Then, people liked the cigar
> >lighters so much that BMC put them in all GT's, but had to put them down
>
> >below so they wouldn't be next to the headlight switch.  Sound
> plausible?
>
> >Denise Thorpe
> >thorpe@kegs.saic.com
>
> Denise et al.
>
> I know about T-type firewalls, but what about A frames. I'm doing an MGA
> (59 1500 roadster) and am curious about the reference. Pray tell....

A while back, someone mentioned that the frame to their A was grey and looked
original, when A frames are supposed to be black.  The witty and charming
Will Zehring (if it was some other witty and charming person I apologize)
speculated that the MG Car Company occasionally painted parts non-standard
colors just to confuse future restorers.  I can believe this because it's
exactly what I would do if I owned a car company.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com