Try to remove fuel tank... help

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Try to remove fuel tank... help
From: "Bart Schwartz" <bschwartz@dttus.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 96 21:30:12 CST
     I'm trying to remove the fuel tank from my '76 Midget so that I can
     put a new float in.

     When I tried to remove the fuel line from the tank, I tried to turn
     the nut connecting the line to the tank and CRACK!  It crumbled into
     pieces.  I hate when that happens, but I can't say it's the first
     time.

     Anyway, now I have the fuel line connected to the tank with no nut and
     I still can't budge the fuel line at all (at least without damaging
     it.  So I have two questions:

     1) There appears to be a washer flush against the tank at the end of
     the fuel line.  I can't tell if it's part of the tank or the line and
     I can't budge it.  Anybody know if I should be trying to get this
     thing off?  Any ideas on how to get the fuel line out at all?

     2)  Now that I've destroyed this nut, is there an easy way to put a
     new one on without having to buy a new fuel line?

     Thanks in advance for any insights.

     -Bart

     * Bart Schwartz                 Internet:  bschwartz@dttus.com *
     * 1976 Midget 1500              CServe:    75753,2550          *
     * Overland Park, Kansas                                        *