Wanted: Rust-free MG Midget body

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wanted: Rust-free MG Midget body
From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer@swarthmore.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:14:28 -0500 (EST)
I'm posting this to the group hoping to scare up one that I found out about
a few months ago, but have since lost all the contact information.

I have a 74 MG Midget - chrome bumpers/round rear wheel arches - that suffers
from enough rust problems that I am ready to scrap my whole restore project.
It is probably salvageable, but I don't know where to start.

Anyway, I really liked this car when it was my daily driver and I'd really
like to drive one again.  So, I'm thinking of trying to get a good body
with either minimal rust or none and recoverable mechanicals (ie, one
without frozen up brake/suspension/etc/systems.).  If someone on the list
knows where I can find a shell or a non-running Midget with a decent body,
I'd appreaciate the tip.  Or, if the person I exchanged mail with before
is still around and still has the car, call or write.  I am interested.
Ideally, I'd like minimize my expenses by getting a car that needs work
for an appropriate price and use mine and the new one to make a decent
runner.  I really like the round-arch cars, but would go for earlier
models, too.

BTW, regarding body repair...  Does anyone have advice on learning how to
restore a shell?  I have a welder (MIG/no gas bottle) and have a full
set of air tools (sander/grinder/Binks #7 gun) to prep the metal and repaint.
I have decent facilities to do the work, but no one to teach me.  If I could
find an individual in the area who would help me do something like a sill
as a lesson (for money/trade/whatever), that would be great.  If there is
another way to learn that anyone can suggest, that would be great too.
Reading a book and translating it into doing the work isn't that easy.
I know mechanicals well and can do most anything there, but the body work
part is intimidating and it probably doesn't need to be.

Glenn Stauffer
Kennett Square/Lititz, PA
stauffer@swarthmore.edu
610-444-0797