Crane Cams (Allison) Electronic Ignition -Reply

To: Railroad2@aol.com, british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Crane Cams (Allison) Electronic Ignition -Reply
From: CHRIS BALL <BALLC@osstf.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:18:18 -0500
I have a Crane  on the Spitfire and I'd say the starting and idle have
improved. This is because :

- I can use a hotter coil with the E.I.

- I have eliminated the timing problem from a worn distributor bushing

So yes, but  its' partly because you're tossing or compensating for old
worn out parts. If you had a spot on distributor, a Lucas sport coil, new
leads and a bang on timing you'd get much the same benefits.

In short, I like the EI, I'd do it again, but I don't want to malign the good
old
points system.  When EI dies, it dies. When points die, you get the extra
set ou of the glove box !

Chris