Towing with driveshaft connected

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Towing with driveshaft connected
From: MG1935@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:41:48 -0500
On 96-02-24 John A. Wise wrote:

>I towed a 58 MGA from West Texas to Pittsburgh, PA and several years later
>from Pittsburgh to St Louis with the tranny in neutral with no problems.

Everyone has heard this debate over and over but I can tell you that I have
seen the results from NOT disconnecting the driveshaft when towing.  The
needle bearings on the front of the mainshaft in the gearbox do not get oil
when the driveshaft is turning and the gearbox is in neutral.  I have seen
these needle bearings fused to the shaft!  This is why the owners manual says
to disconnect the driveshaft if towing.
For years people have been saying that they tow their car with no problem but
it will eventually catch up with them.

Mark Dement
'35 PA
'59 MGA