RE: What a Weekend!!

To: "SLUPECKI A." <AJSLUPEC@MSMACAB.REMNET.AB.COM>
Subject: RE: What a Weekend!!
From: Tim Moses <moses@csra.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:45:03 -0700
At 01:39 PM 2/26/96 CST, you wrote:

>If you are a seasoned MGB mechanic, do not take this as an insult....
>
>I bought my first MG (78 B) last July, so I am still a rookie, but I
experiencedmany of these same symptoms.

        I, too, am new to MGs - I bought my first (70 MGB) in September,
1995.  Seems I am having the same troubles you are.

>I got my 'new' car home and could not get it to idle.  I adjusted timing,
>rebuilt the carb, changed the plugs, distributor cap, and rotor, adjusted the
>choke, etc, etc, etc.  I could get the car to run rough but it would would not
>idle below about 2000RPM.  The simplest thing I overlooked was replacing
the air
>filter. The dirty air filter was keeping the carb from getting enough air.  I
>replaced that and it ran great (after some additional adjustments of idle
speed,
>air mixture, etc).

        When I purchased the car, it didn't even have an air filter.  The
new one I installed has less than 50 miles on it.  With the air filter
installed, it will not fire or run at all.  Even with it completely removed
does the engine react sluggishly.

>Regarding the hard starting --- do you have oil in the carburator dashpot.  I
>did not realize this needed to be topped off often and discovered my B started
>very hard when it was empty.

        The DPO likewise failed to keep any oil in the dashpot.  The air
cylinder now holds oil after the recent rebuild.  I am using Marvel Mystery
oil per a suggestion on this list.  The carb needle is brand new, the float
is adjusted according to specs.  The spark plugs properly gapped.  I do
notice that when I pulled the spark plugs before the car fired, they
appeared wet, as if it was getting too much gasoline to the cylinders, but
only in cylinders 1 and 2 (numbered from the front of the car).

>Good luck -- please let me know what the problem turns out to be.
>
>Andy 'first time MGB mechanic' Slupecki
>ajslupec@msmacab.rement.ab.com

Tim "any help at all is certainly appreciated" Moses