Re: Electronic Ignitions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignitions
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 96 08:23:33 EST
George wrote:
>I put a Crane (Allison) EI on my mongrel MGB roadster ('71 car, '72 engine,
>'73 carbs), and at the same time I replaced the distributor cap, rotor,
>wires, coil (with a Crane PS-20, I believe), and put in Bosch Platinum tip
>plugs.
I could go into my usual tirade against the one size fits all Crane system
versus the made for your model Lucas distributor unit by Lumenition, but
I won't ;-)

>I don't know if the points I replaced were old or adjusted poorly,
>but with the new ignition stuff, the car began to make power over 4000 rpm
>(not just noise), I could run the choke home much sooner (more like a minute
>or so as opposed to the previous 5-10 minutes), I got a smoother idle, and
>the car just seemed generally a lot happier.  Probably the most cost
>effective and easiest improvement I've ever made on a car.
Glad to hear that someone else can confirm my observation.  It certainly seemed
to me that I could de-choke far faster with my EI system than the original
point system.  And my point system was in good shape.  My reason for the
change was that it is one less thing to worry about.  I don't trouble shoot
the ignition, the wires and plugs maybe, but not the black box.  A lifetime
warranty was worth it for me.  And being an electrical engineer, I like having
the latest and greatest.....  Guess that is why I have MGs and a 100+ year
old house!

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581