who can tell me what's wrong with my B's brakes?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: who can tell me what's wrong with my B's brakes?
From: The Warped Goat <dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 18:41:15 -0500 (EST)
I have a 1968 MGB with a strange brake problem.  They work fine, it's just how
they work that is strange.  When you depress the pedal initially when trying to
-slow down, the brakes grab quite well, and it seems like one's foot is about
halfway between the floor and the undepressed resting place.  However, if one
then lets off the brake, the pedal will return and if one then depresses the
brake it's much more responsive.  The pedal does not travel nearly as much as
the first time, and the brakes *seem* more effective.
-    As I said, the brakes work quite well, especially if one pumps them to
take advantage of the lesser travel after the first stroke.  Maybe this is the
normal effect of hydraulic brakes on lbc's, or maybe something is funny about
the master/slave cylinder.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Benjy Edwards.

benj@proxima.cc.colorado.edu                 1968 MGB MkII
b_edwards@rikki.cc.colorado.edu              1992 Trek 2300 Dura-Ace STI
bedwards@goedel.cc.colorado.edu              1992 Rocky Mountain Hammer