Re: The Naming of Cars

To: timmcd@dialnet.net (Tim McDonald), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Naming of Cars
From: jgn@li.net (John G. Napoli)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 22:09:23 -0500
I espouse the opposite viewpoint.  I have _never_ named cars, and have never
understood those who do.  My cars have always been "The '49 Dodge", "The
Jaguar", "The Ferrari", "The Truck", "The Minivan", "The MG", "The Pontiac",
and so on.

Hey, wait a minute: they do all have a name!  It's "The"!  :)

Seriously, though, if you need a counterpoint, use me!

Regards,

John

At 07:22 PM 3/1/96 -0600, Tim McDonald wrote:
>I am a magazine publisher, and one of our magazines is researching an
>article on the names people give their cars and the stories behind them.
>One reader had a particularly unreliable 54 Ford called "Flattery" because
>it got her nowhere.  Another called his car "Elvis" because it shook,
>rattled then rolled.  Each morning when it would actually start...he left
>for work with the cry "Elvis Lives!"  If you have a name for your car and a
>story behind it, email it to me and I'll pass it on to Sandy LaRouche, who
>is writing the story.  We'll let you know if we publish your story and see
>that you get a copy of "Country Heart" magazine if you and your car are
>thus immortalized.
>
>Tim McDonald                    1958 MGA 1500 Coupe
>                                1959 MGA 1500 Roadster
>                                1984 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
>                                1989 Range Rover

Napoli