One 'good' backfire

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: One 'good' backfire
From: FirDarreg@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 11:50:29 -0500
W:

Putting aside the opinion I have that there's no such thing as a 'good'
backfire .... ;)

Though you say the air pump is in good shape, and the gulp valve, you note
that the problem goes away when the pump is disabled.  I've seen this problem
on other cars (non-lbc) and it usually means that your air pump is going bad,
your gulp valve is not working properly, or the acceleration pump in your
carburettor isn't working or is blown.  Check the mixture, the level in the
bowls at running idle and at slight rev, if you can, and then swap the air
pump from another car, if that's available.  Outside possibility you've got a
vaccuum port open someplace on the carbs; that might do something similar.

ckr