New 'B owner

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New 'B owner
From: black@marketsource.com (Michael S. Black)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:08:19 -0500
Well folks as I have purchased yet another MG (brings the total in the fam
up to 4, 3 of which are mine) and have run into a significant problem.
While I consider myself rather handy and capable enough to do most of my
own work this new B I picked up is a real doozy (sp??). Ya see, I got it
for a real song, an ederly man had died and his widow lived near me dad.
She had seen my MG once and asked my dad if I would be interested in buying
the car, assuming that all of the MG's were his (what's with the age bias,
just because I am 21 i am not allowed to enjoy a real car?!). When he said
his Midget was more than enough work and pleasure for him, she asked him if
he knew anyone that would consider the purchase of the car. He immediately
said that he knew I would love to if I liked the condition of the car.

Well did I ever, now I have a third 'B and here is my problems. The damn
thing can't be a '75 as listed on the title. I have been poring over all of
my manuals and at almost every step of the way the car fails to be anything
like a '75. The closest I can guess is that it is a '68 with some add-ons
installed in the late 70's. Unfortunately the VIN # and most of the ID# on
the car have been lost and/or worn off. It is a chrome-bumpered car, and it
doesn't APPEAR like it was modified from a rubber bumpered model but I
can't tell. The hood is a later model MGC hood to allow for all of the
under-hood mods. There is a Weber sidedraft carb installed with the 3'
filters so I know that it has to be a pre-74 1/2 right? The dash has the
style of a '75 model yet I have been told that it was definitely replace 2
years ago so I can't really go by that. Is there any definitive way to tell
the model year. I live in NJ so if I can classify it as a pre '69 car then
I get a lot more leeway on my insurance and especially my emmisions. Any
help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike "I can't tell anything about cars made before I was born" Black

NOTE:   The opinions and statements made by the author of this letter are
in no way guranteed or qualified to be right or even close to correct. In
fact the majority of the time the author of the previous has no clue as to
what he is saying but feels the need to comment on topics that he has no
clue on.You have been warned!!
* Michael S. Black                              Ass. Webmaster @ t@ponline   *
* VOX: 609-655-0369 ext 138                     '75 MGB + '68 Midget MKIII   *