Re: Brake Fluid...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid...
From: Shel Bercovich <SBERCOVICH@cbe.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 1996 18:50:03 -0700 (MST)
See below:
--                                                              \/
Shel Bercovich                        sbercovich@cbe.ab.ca      /\
Join the Trail Riders of the Canadian Rockies (Non-Profit)     /  \
        "Come Ride with Us in Banff National Park"            / /\ \

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Ross A. Goldberg wrote:
> I was going to (until I realize it was too windy) to bleed my brakes today
> because (a) I have no idea when the last time it was done and (b) I have to
> put a LOT of pressure on the pedal to stop the car and

Wheel cylinders are probably shot i.e., there has been water in the lines
and the pistons are frozen in the cylinders.

>(c) my brake lights don't come on unless I have the pedal pushed way down.

Switch, itself, is probably shot, or (been a long time since I've been
under there) the switch could be loose in its mounting.

> 1) I check the lines and don't see any signs of a leak, yet my master
> cylinder is low on fluid -- where does the fluid go? (I am very curious
> about this <g>).

see above. also the wheel cylinders are probably leaking.

> 2) My Haynes manual says to 'top off' the master cyliner -- where exactly is
> the 'top off' line?  Do I go 1/2" below the top, right to the rim, or let
> the fluid overflow and eat all the paint off of my fender? <>

Bottom of the threaded neck of the MC.

> 3) Will bleeding the brakes fix the problem with my lights not going on
> unless the pedal is on the floor?  This bothers me as I feel the lights
> should go on without much pressure to let people know I am 'thinking' of
> braking <g>

No

> 4) This is a '66 B (even registered that way <g>) and the Haynes manual says
> use DOT 3 but I thought I should use DOT 4???  Any thoughts on that one?

Why not?