Re: Gear changing

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear changing
From: Rosaline Bowman <em92ssb@brunel.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 23:44:15 GMT
> Don't some Formula One cars have automatic gearboxes?  Or at least "change
> gears when I punch this button on the steering wheel because I can't let go"
> boxes?

Yes, the decent Formula 1 teams have semi-automatic boxes. The driver
can keep his hands on the wheel and change gear simultaneously using
the 'paddles' on the wheel. It also means that it is impossible for the driver
to fluff a change or to over-rev the engine by changing down too early.
The control electronics simply won't change down until it is safe to do so.

If anyone is interested, there is a British company called Racelogic that
can convert any automatic BMW to this semi-auto style by messing
around with the control system for the auto box. This invalidates the
BMW warranty (!!!!) but Racelogic offer their own instead.

Stephen Brook
Brunel University
London
http://http2.brunel.ac.uk:8080/~em92ssb/