Retrofitted parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Retrofitted parts
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.attgis.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 10:03 EST
Ross Goldberg writes:

> This makes me think... is it possible to retrofit parts from later cars in
> my '66 MGB?  From 66-80 many items were improved and I'm sure my car could
> benefit from them.  Parts under the hood all the way to interior pieces?  If
> so, I would be curious to here what types of improvements people have made
> to their older cars in this way.

Almost any part can retrofitted to the earlier 63-67 MGB - IF you are prepared
to take the time and effort.

On my currect 1963 MGB restoreation I have retrofitted the following :

 - Rear axle from a 1979 MGB (so that I can fit a rear sway bar if needed)

 - Radiator from a 1980 MGB - needs some work to get it to fit in the forward
location,
but it increased the cooling capacity and allowed me to use electric fans

 - Collapsible steering column from a late model MGB - not an easy addition
because
you have to weld in the column support bracket behind the dashboard and also
weld
in the the tunnel support at the firewall.
Benefits : 1 - the column is collapsible ( a must for racing)
           2 - the later columns use real bearing in the column and not those
silly
               nylon rings
           3 - I can use a variety of steering wheels, as the splines are
different
               on the earlier cars
           4 - I can use the later style column switches with the wiper/washer
               on a stalk and the high beam on the other stalk.

 - MGBGT rear springs, to give me a stiffer spring (6 leaves versus 5)

 - Late model dash guages - they are easier to read at night

 - Late model electric temp. sender - I do not use an oil pressure guage, so I
did
   not use the earlier dual guage. Instead I use an oil pressure switch rated at
   30 psi and a VERY LARGE idiot light. In racing I rarely have time to look at
   guages, but I can not ignore a bright red idiot light.

 - Late model windshield - it has provision for visors

There are other parts that can be retrofitted, but these are the changes I have
made which I know work.
gerry
 - Late model vent windows - they are stronger than the earlier ones