Seat belts & rollbars

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Seat belts & rollbars
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.attgis.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 13:38 EST
Tom Wannenburg writes:

> The seats, and seat belts in my Midget are very worn.
> I have also thought of installing a roll bar like the (SCCA aproved)
> I am not going to race it so I don't know if these things are worth doing.
> I would appreciate comments,

If you want to have a rollbar installed in a car consider the following:

Rollbars and rollcages should be built around the driver NOT around the car.
I have had 2 rollcages built in the last 5 years and on both occasions the
rollcages were built around ME.

Usually when you buy one of those universal roll-bars that are SUPPOSED to
fit a Midget, you will be VERY disappointed. There are too many compromises
built into the rollbar, remember they have to design the rollbar to fit a
variety of Midgets from the early MKI to the later 1500. Also they have to
fit a variety of people and a variety of seat designs.

If you are serious about getting a rollbar, consider having one built at a good
reputable race shop - it will probably be cheaper than buying and installing
the Britty Vic affair. As a reference, the full rollcage in my rally car
cost $900 to build. An Autopowers (?) bolt-in cage at the time cost $650 and
about 6 hours labour to install, so the cost came out about the same - BUT
I now have a rollcage designed around myself.

I used to have a pre-built rollbar in my Midget, I gave it away after about
2 months, because it was a piece of junk

Seatbelts:
For regualar street driving, I would not go with 5-ppoint harnesses, they
are a bother to get in and out of. I have a set in the rally car, and for racing
they are fantastic, but for the road, I have kept the standard 3-point belts
in their stock locations.

On the Midget I use a seat belt made by Britax. It is similar to the 5-point
belts but does away with the submarine strap. The shoulder belts and the
lap belts are sewn together and have a handy snap together clasp. It is
similar to a set of suspenders for men's trousers !!. It is convenient
(so I use them all the time), and if you adjust them properly, they hold
you rigidly to the seat. I used the stock mounting point on the lap
belts and drilled 2 holes in the trunk floor and installed them with suitable
back-up plates.

Hope this helps
gerry