My B sprung a leak... (was MORE QUESTIONS)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: My B sprung a leak... (was MORE QUESTIONS)
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:12:20 -0600
Hello,

After worrying about whether or not I should replace my rubber hoses when I
flush my radiator something 'new' occured.  My heater knob has always been a
pain in the #$% to turn and I couldn't figure out if it was the heater valve
or the heater control behind the dash.  Today, getting ready to flush the
radiator I decided to see if I should replace the valve at the same time --
a $32 part.  Well, fate made this decision for me... as I was turning the
heater knob to inspect it... water started dripping from the valve and after
a few seconds my garage floor had a stream of antifreeze running down...

The scary thing was my dog was out in the garage with me... needless to say,
after seeing the recent posts around here the dog soon found himself locked
in the kitchen <g>

When I called MOSS to order the heater valve I 'inquired' about the heater
control thingy to find that it is out of stock.  I guess I will give mine a
lookover and see if I can make it work smoother.  Sometimes I have to use
both hands to turn the heater dial, not the most fun thing to do.  I figure
chaning the valve, cable, and cleaning the control should help -- I hope.

>Exactly. The copper hose is supposed to run behind the vacuum riser for the
>pcv valve, and bolts down to a couple of the "spare" bolts that are run into
>the top of the intake manifold. This arrangement is far better than a long
>hose, as it is stronger, more rigid and can be bolted down with the slip-over
>brackets, keeping the hose off the carbs and fuel lines. (which WILL cause
>vapor lock, every time)

The problem is this all costs about $25 when a simple 1/2" hose costs a few
dollars <g>  How will the hose cause vapor lock?  It rides over the carbs
but doesn't touch them... even if it did the fuel lines aren't in danger of
being touched.

>The T is just that, a piece of pipe with a T. This allows the bottom hose to
>be the same as the top hose, the connector to the copper pipe is normal
>heater hose, and the connector to the water pump is a normal straight length
>of radiator hose. (no "valve" is involved)

What I thought was the valve is just a connector from the hose to the 'T' (I
think).  I just didn't know if it had some internal parts that made it a one
way system.

Now my car has to sit in my garage while I wait for my parts to arrive...
I'm glad I was planning on flushing the system when this happened <g>

Later,
Ross
'66 MGB
// Ross A. Goldberg (aka Loki)