MONTEGO, WHAT IS THAT?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, HansShelby@aol.com
Subject: MONTEGO, WHAT IS THAT?
From: nielsm@midtnord.com
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 10:54:45 EST

          Notat vedr.....:    MONTEGO, WHAT IS THAT?
          Udarbejdet af..:    KLSNIM   NATURGAS  Niels Madsen
                     den.:    13 Marts.1996

          HI there
          Thanks to Hans Pedersen in Washington for your reply concerning my
          problems with the Montego. I think I owe you an explanation to what a
          Montego is :

          In the early 1980's BMC tried to revive the MG make by building a set
          of fast saloon cars on the basis of Austin cars. The Austin Maestro
          became MG Maestro and Austin Montego became MG Montego. The Maestro is
          a hatchback model and the Montego is a 4 door saloon model. The only
          difference from the Austin to the MG is the MG badge, some changes to
          interior and modifications to the engine. Both models had 2 liter
          engines, the Montego also came in a version with a Turbo charger
          ( my car is a Montego Turbo ).

          Evil tongues maintain that the Maestro and Montego aren't proper MG
          cars but I think they in the future will be acceptet by those people.
          Look at the ZA Magnette : When it first came out, it had the same body
          as the Wolseley 4/44 and the same motor as BMC cars ( Austin Cambridge
          and Morris Oxford ). The later version of the Magnette, the MK III
          wasn't even build in Abingdom, but at the Austin factory in Cowley.
The
          only difference between the MG Magnette MK III and eg. Austin
Cambridge
          was the MG badge... And today the Magnette's is concidered to be
          genuine MG's.

          About my interest in when my car was build in England : In 1987 there
          was made some minor changes on the model, and some spare parts have
          been changed. So it does matter, in the cases when I order new parts.

          Anyway, I've asked the library to locate a copy of "Hollanders Guide"
          to see if it is of any use in Denmark. I don't think so because it is
          an american book, about imported cars to the States and I doubt that
          the Montego ever has been importet to the States.

          Enough for now

          Niels Madsen                       MG Montego Turbo
          Aalborg, Denmark