Re: Trans lube/Engine oil

To: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Subject: Re: Trans lube/Engine oil
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 19:57:51 +0500
At 09:48 AM 3/15/96 +1100, Graham McCann wrote:

>Everything you say is correct and I have official Castrol bulletins to
>suppport it but I am curious why you appear to dismiss 80W/90 for overdrive
>equipped cars.

What I've heard is that EP additives used in gear oils don't get along well
with with older-style overdrives.  Kinda makes sense to me, as EP additives
do some chemical hocus-pocus that effectively sacrifices a miniscule layer
of metal on the gears for the greater good of extreme pressure reliability.
Must be something in the OD's that doesn't take this slight loss well.
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu
http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html