Stored MGBs - The pros and cons

To: mgs@autox.team.net (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested)
Subject: Stored MGBs - The pros and cons
From: Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk> (Tel DTI Assessment Unit)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:02:00 +0000
Hi All,

I've just come off the digest list as I've been really enjoying the postings of
late and felt it was about time I got the postings as they happen.  I posted a
few weeks ago on the subject of UK B prices and asked which, of a Roadster and
GT, should I buy. Thanks for all the postings I got - the decision is made and
I'm going for a Roadster, I just can't wait !

A question for the collective - I'm due to go and see a `70 Roadster at the
weekend that has been stored in a shed for the last three years - apparently
it's been rolled out every month or so and started but other than that the PO
says it's been pretty much left alone - they just liked to look at it !! -
Question is what are the main points to look at on a car that has been stored ?
 are tyres going to be perished ? - battery shot ? oil all sludgey etc etc,
what
things are likely to be done for and what points need to be carfully checked
for
to avaoid major headaches when I get the beasty home- also if I want to buy it
as a daily runner what NEEDS to be changed  before it is driven the 25 miles to
it's new home ?

Thanks in anticipation...

P.S.. I read with interest the MG Montego stuff - I agree with Stephen Brook
that the Turbo's are fast.  On paper they're well quick at 5.1 secs 0-60mph,
that's faster than a Seirra Cosworth !! (Bloody fast UK Car).  But after all is
the MG Montego not just a souped up family car ?? seems to take the shine of
the
sporty nature of the MG badge for me...

Kevin.
   /^^^^^\
  /___-___\    Kevin.Phillips@tidv.dti.gov.uk
 |_~~~~~~~_|  '62 Morris Minor   xx'MGB soon...