Tip for bleeding the clutch slave cylinder.

Subject: Tip for bleeding the clutch slave cylinder.
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 19:27:50 -0500 (EST)
>From: "David E. Brown" <spmsales@rust.net>
[snip]
>I'm having a heck of a time bleeding my clutch.  I've tried to use a
>mighty vac on the bleed screw, but to no avail, yet...

I've got a mighty vac system and I've had similar problems bleeding the
clutch on my '70 MGB.  FWIW bleeding the brakes on the motorcycles I've
worked on is about as difficult.

I noticed that there was an awful lot of air (perhaps alot of awful air)
being drawn in from around the bleed screw, causing me to loose vacuum to
the cylinder.  What I ended up doing is removing the bleed screw,
cleaning it up and wrapping a few turns of plumbers teflon tape around
the threads.  Wrap the tape such that it is not "un-wound" when you put
the bleed screw back in.

Next I pump up the mighty-vac and just slightly open the bleed screw.
Keep the vacuum up around 15-20 lbs.  This way I don't draw as much
excess air and it does a better job of pulling fluid/air from the
cylinder itself.

I don't think the teflon tape will have any detremental effect to the
brake system.  Perhaps some of the chemical types can comment on this?

John "gettin ready for the bead-blaster" Van Valkenburgh
Raleigh, NC