Coverlay/Dash Top Covers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Coverlay/Dash Top Covers
From: Doug Kennedy <kennedys@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 20:24:25 -0800
Brian Shick wrote regarding the use of coverlays...

I'm finishing my second restoration of a 69B and have used coverlays twice.
I love them.  For this year's dash it is practically invisible.  A few tips....
1.  Only use one that comes with a tube of adhesive such as weatherstrip
    adhesive from 3M or an RTV adhesive sealant.  The two-sided tape
    installation is a disaster and will peel up.
2.  Warm the adhesive first in some warm water so it flows better.
3.  Spend LOTS of time cleaning and roughing up the dash top where it's to be
    glued.  Don't rely upon a crummy cleaner.  Break out the sandpaper and
    mineral spirits to get down to fresh dash.
4.  Don't put the glue too close to the edge of the coverlay so that it squeezes
    out...  but,
5.  Have some thinner nearby to clean up drips and smears QUICKLY.
6.  Trial fit the coverlay a few times.  On the 69B it really wants to fit
    snugly on the top driver's side.  You may also want to cut out a notch near
    the choke pull so you don't tear off a fingernail!
7.  If you're lucky (or unlucky) enough to have the windshield out then weighing
    down the coverlay is easy until it sets up.  Paint cans, cat litter bags,
    etc work great.  .... but...
8.  If the windshield's in then there isn't a lot of room to stack weights.  Try
    flat weights from your local bodybuilder, or lead weights from your local
    scuba diver's belt!  Regardless, work this out before adhesive's applied.
9.  Resist the temptation to spread the adhesive back and forth unevenly.  This
    will cause the coverlay to appear wavy on top where it does and doesn't
    stick.  All it needs is a bead around the edge.

Hope this helps.

Doug Kennedy
69B Primrose Restored
69B Red Restoring (98% down and counting)