Timing Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing Questions
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 22:07:40 -0600
Hello,

I am trying to set the timing (dynamically) on my '66 MGB and have some
questions:

1) Haynes lists 14 and 12 degrees depending on if I have high compression or
low compression... how do I know that?

2) Is there some secret to getting the distibutor to turn?  I loosened the
bolt that hold it tight but it wouldn't budge and finally got hot that I
couldn't tough it.

3) Haynes says to time at 600 rpm but I couldn't get it lower than 750, is
that a problem

Also, in general what does a high setting do?  Better performance?  Better
Gas Mileage?  Better anything?

Also (again) the reason I am adjusting the timing is that the car is slugish
under hard acceleration... in the higher rpms it tends to give little
backfires.  Normal driving seems fine, but when I hit the pedal to speed up
the car some times slows down... not a good thing <g>

I check the spark plugs and they had a slight carbon build up and I am going
to tune the carbs after the timing, but I thought I should set the timing
first.  Right now the timing is at about 11 degrees.  I was going to set the
timing statically but I couldn't find a socket big enough to turn the engine
over <g>

Thanks for any help,
Ross
+ Ross A. Goldberg (aka Loki) +