Re: MG-TD Clutch Question

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: MG-TD Clutch Question
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 21:00 EST

>>or the fire extinghiser I had brought along. But I did find one problem,
when I
>>release the clutch pedal it engages very slowly, like molsses in January. No
>>problem with slippage or anything, just slow. Being a novice backyard
mechanic,

A.B. Bonds responds:

>The pedal mounts on a shaft that has bushings actually pressed into
>the chassis.  There is a grease fitting on the outside of the chassis
>that might require some attention.  Woe be unto you if you have to
>take it out to clean it (try liberal doses of WD40 or the like all
>over the outside of the shaft first).  The TD pedal box is not only
>difficult to get to, it is doubtless the dirtiest place in
>Christendom.

Right on the nose! I unhooked the linkage and found that the pedal still
moved like molasses. A few squirts of WD40 cleared it up. I had pumped
some grease into the fitting earlier, but I guess it had not displaced
the old sticky "Fig Newton" grease. Hey, who need a fancy hydraulic
damper? Just lube a bearing with some 40 year old grease!

Boy, that pedal box is darn right mysterious. You really can't see
into it, just gotta feel your way around. There aren't any good diagrams
of it in the usual books. By the way, is there supposed to be some kind
of boot or grommet around the connecting rod comming out of the box?
Looks like a good entrance for dirt and water.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration