alternator swap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator swap
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.attgis.com
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 96 13:20 EST
This past week-end, I was looking through a couple of catalogues
looking for a beefier alternator to the stock 35A Lucas unit on my
MGB. I saw several ads for the Delco 60A one-wire alternators.

I have worked out that on the MGB I shall need approx 55Amps, once all the
various rallying equipement is installed. Looking through my parts
collection I came across a VW GTI alternator (Bosch 90A) and just out of
curiousity, mounted it on the MGB. I half expected to have to make a
gazziillions brackets to adapt the VW alternator to the MGB block.

Guess what ? it's almost a straight swap. The only parts I had to get was
a 6 1/2" (5/16") bolts to mount the alternator to the stock mounting
points and to get a slightly longer fan belt. Took me about 1 hour.
The wirong was strightforward. hook up the alternator idiot light to
the small spade connector on the back of the alternator, hook up the
stock charging wire  to the large spade connector. I beefed up the
charging wire to 8 guage to handle the load.

So for any one interest in swapping out their Lucas unit, you may find that
Bosch alternators are almost a perfect fit.

gerry