Re: removing dash

To: Paul <schwerdt@isns1.shasta.com>
Subject: Re: removing dash
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 08:17:55 -0500
>I can't get the
>sending unit off the gauge,

HOLD THE PHONE!  If it's a '64 then you're talking about the dual needle
gauge with oil preasure and water temperature (one of the finest gauges
known to man, next to the oxygen tank stirring gauge on the Apollo space
craft).  There isn't any way to remove the sending unit from the gauge
(short of destroying it)!  You will have to remove the bulb from the head
and thread it out of the firewall hole.  You will destroy the unit if you
force it off at the gauge back.  The temp unit operates on an anti-deluvian
technology involving the expansion and vaporization of an organic solvent
(ether?) with increasing heat, actuating the temp. needle by increased preasure.

Only the oil preasure line can be detached from the gauge back.

I'm proud to say that on your '64 (and my '63) the only electrical gauge is
the fuel gauge (and that is the least accurate)!

>and I have no clue how to go about removing the
>choke nob, or whatever is needed to get it seperated from the dash.

As I recall, there should be a hex nut on the back side of the choke nob,
pinching it onto the dash from the dash's rear side.  You will have to
detach the choke cable from the carbs and thred the cable and cable housing
out of the fire wall and then out the front of the dash.

Will Zehring