Re: Engine break in questions

To: kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine break in questions
From: DGeis@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 13:47:25 -0500
Kevin:

> As I understand it, I need to break in the
> new water pump's bearing by running it dry for 30 seconds.  At what rpm?

Quoting the Moss _T_ Series Catalog:  "New water pumps should be run dry for
15-30 seconds to seat the carbon-faced seal to ensure against leakage.  This
may be done by running the pump with an electric drill or on the engine
before adding coolant."

The water pump was changed to a different type of seal at engine # 6482.
Therefore, running in the seal is no longer appropriate.

Dave Geissinger