Generator/Charging system Wisdom sought - lengthy - '67 MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Generator/Charging system Wisdom sought - lengthy - '67 MGB
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 19:13:12 -0700
I'm seeking net wisdom on a generator situation on my '67 MGB.  First, let
me point out that I have 2 regulators, and my charging system acts the same
reguardless of which I use, so, I figure the regulators are both ok.
Second, I have installed an ammeter, a voltmeter, and a clock in my car, and
therefore, I always can know exactly what the charging system is doing.  I
mention the clock because both the clock and the ammeter are on the same
power line (also with the stereo and electric antenae(sp?)), and have power
at all times, in the original condition, I don't think anything on the car
had power at all times, if this is likely to be causing the problem, let me
know if I can cirrect this and keep the accessories.  The power for these
comes off the second post on the regulator.  That wire usually is a short
jumping across the engine compartment (brown wire).  I have removed the
brown wire, and installed one that goes to the ammeter.  off the ammeter I
have the clock, and the stereo, and a large wire going back to the engine
compartment were the brown wire went. Voltmeter is powered off the ignition,
and only has power when the car is on.

Here's the problem:

When I start the car, the ammeter shows a discharge, and the idiot light
lights.  This does not go away simply by revving the engine to 2 or 3
thousand rpms.  However, if I want to (approximately) red line the engine
for about 3 seconds, the situation does in fact go away, and the system does
charge from then on - however, I am not getting enough charge to keep the
battery charged if I have the lights, heater, and radio on.

I also have 2 generators, but one has gone bad ... its commutator end of the
armature has a burn on it.  I don't know how or why it got this burn, but I
was wondering if this could be caused by my power to the clock, ammeter,
stereo, and antennae(sp?) somehow.

Thanks,
Phil Bates
67 MGB