Re: Speedometer

To: HANSONDR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Speedometer
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 23:20:53 -0800
You wrote:

>I recently saw a discussion here on speedometers not operating. Last
thing I
>remember was that the "Right Angle Drive Gear Box" should be checked
to see
>if stripped.
>
>My questions:
> 1) How do you know, if stripped ?
> 2) Were all B's manufactured with "Service Interval Counters and
where were
>they           located ?
>Thanks in advance
> Dave - loving my 80 B

I have owned, in one form or another(drivers and parts cars), every
year B from 74(2) to 79 and have only seen Service Counter on my 76'
and it is located on fire wall directly below heater fan

the best way to check angle drives is to insert screwdriver tips of
approximately same size as speedo cable end at both sides of the drive
unit and turn with a slight amount of resistance on one side if striped
you'll feel it slip. Caution : to much resistance will strip the unit

Speedo jumps are more often than not caused by frayed cable get snagged
periodically on interior of cable guide tube.

Safety Fast, David Deutsch
Shameless plug: check out my N.E.USA events web site.
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/clubs/deutsch.html