Noise in the Speedometer

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Noise in the Speedometer
From: Michael Boley <mdboley@hpbs1117.boi.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 17:22:28 MST
Greetings all,

I require the combined wisdom of the net for this question.

My speedometer use to swing wildly back and forth whenever I
was moving.  Occasionally it would settle down and appear to
work correctly. Additionally it would make strange clicking
noises.  This continued until the needle fell off it's pivot.

After that it just made the clicking noise.  I was not worried
because at a club yard sale I picked up another unit with a
brand new cable.

I finally got around to pulling the old one out last week and
installed the (not new) replacement unit.  This one makes the
same noise.  I have disassemble the right angle drive attached
to the back and the teeth within all appear ok.  When driving
without the speedo installed I can see the end of the cable
spinning and no binding can be seen and no sound heard.

During further testing of the replacement unit it sometimes
functions correctly, but occasionally the needle starts it's
wild swinging.  When this is observed the clicking noise is
also heard.

I partially disassembled the replacement this morning and all
the springs were fine and no binding was found or anything
else that seemed out of place.

What part is creating the noise?  Any comments?

Michael Boley
mdboley@hpbs1117.boi.hp.com

68 MGB-GT