Re: Vacuum lines

To: "SLUPECKI A." <AJSLUPEC@MSMACAB.REMNET.AB.COM>
Subject: Re: Vacuum lines
From: 007 <jmel@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 08:29:03 -0800 (PST)

On 2 Apr 1996, SLUPECKI A. wrote:

> I have a 78B which is pretty much stock.  On the metal pedal box located
> between the brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder, there is
> what I think is a vacuum switch.  There are two wires coming from the
> bottom and two places for hoses to attach --- only there aren't any
> hoses there.  I can't find any reference to this in my Haynes manual or
> the Moss/VB catalogs.  What is supposed to be connected and what does
> this switch do?
>
> Thx...Andy Slupecki
>         78 MGB (in more pieces than I would like with spring
> approaching)

Probably the same useless unit as on my '79 B - Which I've removed - what
that unit does is cutout the vacuum advance unless you are in 4th gear -
the wires go down to the tranny - one hose comes from the carb to that
unit (anyone know what its called?), the other one goes to the
distributor.  When I bypassed it, and taped the wires, my B ran better.
I've kept all the hardware tho, so that California smog police can see it
on its biannual inspection.  Note: the above info is from memory, so some
details may be incorrect.

Jim Mellander
jmel@netcom.com