Fuel pump / line...?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel pump / line...?
From: SimJaysun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:52:21 -0400
Hi folks!

Well, I've got a new fun one for you...

I have a 1979 MGB (FYI).  The following is a bit tough to describe, but I'll
do my best.

The car "stalls" randomly once at running temperature.  By randomly, I mean
at any RPM, accelleration rate, etc.  It doesn't sputter or cough...there's
no warning whatsoever.  It just dies.  Now, I should explain something.  When
it stalls, it doesn;t initially die altogether.  The RPM drop to zero, but if
I take the car out of gear, and turn the key, the starter grinds, indicating
the engine is actually running.  I dont' get it...

 I'm assuming it's something to do with the fuel system ie. fuel pum going
bad, or some sort of clog in the line, or maybe even an improper float level
adjustment, but I figured I'd ask for some guidance before I started trouble
shooting...

Thanks in advance,