Re: MGB Cooling Problems

To: jfeyrer@csd.uwm.edu
Subject: Re: MGB Cooling Problems
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 11:50:27 -0400
Jim:

1) Have you replaced or checked the temperature sending unit recently?

2) Have you visually/manually checked the thermostat?

3) I wouldn't replace the pulley fan with the electric ones, were it me.
 There's some dubious assertion that you get a bit better gas mileage and
better highway speed with the electric ones, but their cooling properties vs.
the pulley fans are suspect.  The electric connexions and relays in the OEM
electric fans have a tendency to follow the guidelines of the Prince of
Darkness and tot off just when you need them most.  I'd stick with the pulley
fan.  If possible (and I've never done this conversion myself) you might
consider replacing the 3-blade metal fan with the later model 5-blade one.
 That may make a difference.

I'd suspect first the thermostat (assuming your radiator flows properly, as
you said).  It's easy to check and replace, and the different seasonal ones
do make a difference.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'