Re:OD etiquette and vacuum switches...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:OD etiquette and vacuum switches...
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 11:46:51 -0400
Thanks all for the replies on the positive "jump starting". I'll add my very
limited experience to Will Zehring's comments on the OD unit.

My OD unit is a new addition to my 3 synchro box. I have had the unit in for
about 2 months with no vacuum switch. In fact, I didn't know it was a part of
this unit until reading about it on this list.

I engage my OD with the toggle switch in 4th without using the clutch. I wait
until about 2700+ RPM prior to engaging. The unit engages and the rpm's drop
immediately, much as Will describes " like an automatic" .  I read somewhere
that this unit won't engage under a certain RPM? Anyway,I'm timid about my
unit and could definitely use some advice.
When disengaging, I'm told to flip the switch and depress the clutch. I
agree, it takes a very short period of time to disengage this OD and run in a
"normal" 4th gear. I'm not sure that this procedure is correct; however it
seems to be working OK.

My questions are :

1. What does this vacuum switch do?
2. Where can you find one of these units?
3. I'm told that declutching after disengaging releases pressure on the OD?
4. I've found no difference in 3rd gear OD as in normal 3rd gear. Possible
reasons?

I agree with Will, there is nothing like cruising at 70mph and 3000 rpm...

Bruce Durgin
'64B ( 3 synchro, 3 main, + earth , blah , blah...)