TD Voltage Regulator Help

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Voltage Regulator Help
From: bobd@dynacomm.fse.com (Bob Dallas)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:42:59 -0500
My '51 TD has a new wiring harness, reworked generator, and new battery. The
motor runs, the generator is putting out the correct voltage but the
generated current does not flow past the regulator--it keeps drawing from
the battery.  I removed the cover from the regulator and cleaned the contact
points(no change).
 However, I did notice that when the motor was running at over 1000 rpm, I
could manually make the contact on the cut-out and the solinoid would hold
it in place (and the generator was feeding the system with current-not the
battery)until the motor was put at lower than 1000 rpm at which time, the
contact would open and the system would again start drawing from the
battery. I suspect that this contact should occur automactically as you
increase the speed, but this doesn't happen.  I tried to adjust the cut-out
as described in the shop manual but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Any help would be appreciated--
Bob Dallas
Network & Programming Services, Inc.
Houston, TX 77079
bobd@npsinc.com
Voice: (713) 597-1160   FAX:  (713) 597-1156