vacuum advance problems

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: vacuum advance problems
From: Greg Johnson <ab916@ccn.cs.dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:36:01 -0300
Well, I have just discovered I have a 62-67 distributor (#40897)  on my 72
MGB, probably put on by a PO.
The vacuum advance, which must have been cracked, "became disconnected" from
the distributor while timing.  In the ol' parts box, I found 3
distributors: another 40897 (64) sans VA, an unknown distributor with
vacuum advance but no timing adjustment knob, and one with the number
41401 , with a VA that fit and *works* on the 40897 distributor.

Here is some ascii art to explain how it looks (the top part of it
anyway...side view:
       Vacuum inlet
          |    __
          V   |  |
              |  |
         _O__|    |____
       _|              |_
      |                  |
       \                /
        |              |
--------------snip--------------

I say *works* ... it seems to be functioning well, but you can imagine
from the "bulky" shape, it interferes with the oil dipstick. Now all I
need is a flexible dipstick (h'mmm,...my Subaru is soon to be taken off
the road....)

Does anyone know where this distributor/VA (41401 A) may have come from? I
believe it is a lucas model 25D distributor. Maybe a Marina? (we parted
one out for the engine block...it was a total rust bucket, & never could
get it running properly).

Anyone with a spare 40897 Vacuum advance? :>  I'm looking at ~US$40 for a
new, non-original one. (originals have a screw-on Vacuum line)

Cheers!
   / ______/        |   |  Greg A.M.Johnson           '72 & '66 MGB
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dalhousie University
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
   * See the British Automobile Touring Association of NS Home Page!*

          http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html