RE: Distributors

To: "'uscdc52c@ibmmail.com'" <uscdc52c@ibmmail.com>
Subject: RE: Distributors
From: "David M. Hall" <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:15:15 +0100
uscdc52c@ibmmail.com wrote:

> **            Continental Insurance Company Electronic Mail        **
> From: Bruce Berlin
> Subject: Distributors
>
> Question regarding distributors came up while talking with
> a friend last night:
>
>   If an conversion is done to electronic ignition using a Luminition
>  type kit, are the centrifugal weights still needed in the dist.?
>
> I said yes because the function of timing is seperate from the function
> performed by the replaced points (which is opening to discharge the built
> up voltage). My friend disagrees.
>
> I must let people know that a six-pack of Bass Ale rests on the answer.
> Thanks in advance.
> Bruce in N.J.

I've put a crane electronic ignition in my 72 MGB/GT.  It required that I leave
both my centrifugal weights, and the vaccuume advance.  However, they do have a
unit which can compensate for these.  So, it depends upon the type of
electronic ignition you are putting in.  I don't know specifically about the
Luminition.

Davedhall@vcd.hp.com