Re: MG racing history questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG racing history questions
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 03:12:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Will Zehring wrote:

> I'm curious about a page in the history of spridget racing.  Way back when
> they were new cars, didn't someone race a few one-off spridget coupes?  At
> Le Mans, or Sebring or something?  Who did this?  Where can I find out more
> about these cars and the history of the effort?  Were the cars fiberglas or
> metal bodied?  When did this happen?  Were the cars competitive?

The details are lost deep in the recesses of my brain (oops, there goes
another synapse!), but I do remember that one or more factory-sponsored
Sprite coupes ran at Sebring back around 1959 or 1960.  I remember an
account in Sports Cars Illustrated (now Car & Driver) of a
Sebring-to-somewhere trip in one of the Sprite coupes and a factory MGA
Twin Cam that also raced at Sebring that year.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.