Re: Lord Brocket rumor

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Subject: Re: Lord Brocket rumor
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 09:09:57 -0400
Denise T. writes:

>Who the heck is Lord Brocket?  Is that another alias for Cecil Kimber or
>some other MG "deity?"  I can't remember people's names when they've only
>got one!

Well, now that you asked...  Lord Brocket is a real person, but I'm not sure
what his real name is (I mean, I think he bought into the lordship--his real
name might be Smedley for all I bloody well know).  He was recently
sentenced to 5 years in prison for insurance fraud.  This may ring a bell:
About 2 or 3 years ago he reported the theft of several very pricey and very
rare Ferraris from his personal digs, a castle somewhere in England.  Bits
of suspicion lingered and investigations finally uncovered the facts: he and
some hirelings cut the cars up into little pieces and threw them away!
We're talking something like 4+ MILLION pounds (money, not weight) worth of
Ferrari.  He needed the cash and felt, somehow, that their retail value was
below their insured value (??... don't ask me!).  Anyway, yes, he cut them
up into little pieces and now these stunning cars are gone forever!  The
fellow should have been drawn and quartered.

I read about this a few weeks ago and... naturally thought of you and the
MG1100... thing.  So, I made the posting.

Thanks for posting directly to me.  I am on "digest" mode now and haven't
actually received a posting from MGS for two+ days.  I'm getting the shakes!

Cheers, and have an awesome weekend...  cutting up that B/GT  ;-)

Will Z.