Re: "Clunker" Laws

To: BLECKSTEIN@shell.monmouth.com, RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com,
Subject: Re: "Clunker" Laws
From: TRHeaven@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 21:09:11 -0400
In a message dated 96-04-19 22:45:13 EDT, BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
writes:

>On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
>wrote:
>>What exactly is this "Clunker" legislation, and who do we vote
>>out of office to prevent it from becoming law? Will it threaten
>>our beloved classic british cars?
>>
>>Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
>>53  MG-TD
>>71 MGB
>>
>>The clunker law is half rumor and half fact. In theory it outlaws or
through

>impossible inspections makes impossible the operation of older cars.Can your
>MG
>pass an emission test run on a dynamo? The concept is loved by the
following:

>      1. New car manufacturers  Boy will car sales soar!
>      2. Industrial polluters who see a radical improvement of air quality
>
>     without spending a dime on what they do to the air.
>      3. Politicians who see away of complying with their states pollution
>problems through no costs to their taxpayers or the industries they want to
>keep
>in their state.
>

>Simple solution to complex problems.
>
>However when a society designed around the car for rich and poor  alike then

>eliminates the pool of cars for the poor, there will be insurrection in the
>streets or at least a thousand % increase in new car theft.What we save in
>taxes
>we will pay in theft insurance (double)!
>
>In one variation of the clunker law, auto manufacturers will buy back at a
>nominal cost the clunkers to remove them from the road. They will probably
>export them to the third world at a profit.
>
>Write your congressmen and state legislators, not as car collectors, but as
>citizens!
>
>Mike ( get off the soap box ) Leckstein

I do not see how taking these older cars off the road will improve air
pollution.  The small industrial city I live in has mostly newer cars (1980's
and up).  How can taking a small percentage of the cars,  many of which are
highly tuned, or are not driven that offen, going to improve the air
pollution?  A car, no matter the age, if tuned properly,  is not that much of
a polluter.  I have seen many newer cars, that would not be affected by the
'clunker laws' that have more noxious fumes spuing out in fifteen minutes
than my Spitfire puts out all year!
But all these clunker buy backs that some companies are doing is a shame!
 All they are doing is buying time from the government so they will not have
to clean up their factories,  which in my eyes are doing more polluting than
our beloved older cars!

Tell me, just HOW MANY Triumphs, MGs, et al, 50's Chevys, Fords, and other
"collector" cars are on the roads today?

Sorry, but I get real fired up when it comes to something I cherish.

Ron Nottingham
Dalton, Ga
77 Spitfire 1500  -  they can have it after they pry my dead, cold hands of
the wheel