72 Midget: SU Carb vents ?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 72 Midget: SU Carb vents ?
From: Chuck_Ciaffone_at_WG-RAL@smtp.wg.com
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 07:49:40 EST

     Big-time Top-down weather here in NC!

     While trying to "clean up" the engine compartment in my 72
     Midget, I came across what looks to be just a fuel-bowl venting
     system.  From the top of each SU fuel bowl, next to the fuel
     inlet line, is a short hose that leads to a 1/4" pipe.  The
     pipe then goes to the evap cannister.

     When I removed the pipe and plugges the 2 hoses, the engine ran
     badly.  No fuel getting into the bowl?

     When I unplugged the hoses, but left off the pipe, all ran
     well.  As nothing appears to leak out of these hoses, is there
     a compelling reason to replace them?

     chuck