Re: broken head bolt

To: curt1@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: broken head bolt
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:40:27 -0400
>Then it happened...SNAP. I broke off one of my head bolts in
>the block. It was one of the long ones that hold the rocker arm
>on as well. Help! How do I get the broken bolt out of the head?

Curt:

If there's any of the bolt sticking up out of the head, a set of
channel-locks will do nicely  to remove it, I should think.  (In Virginia,
they call these Vise-Grips.)

If there's nothing left to grab, then try an extractor bit on a variable
speed drill. WARNING: This can be fairly dangerous if you've never done it
before. It's important to wear safety goggles, be certain you're exactly
perpendicular to the surface of the bolt when drilling, and take it very slow
and easy. It should come right out, though.  Had a manifold stud I did this
on a couple of years ago (considerably more difficult, since it's a smaller
diameter).  Luck.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'