Re: Leaky Valve Guides

To: Jeffrey Herr <herr@mail.sdsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Leaky Valve Guides
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 08:53:38 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Jeffrey Herr wrote:

> I have a 78 MGB that for all purposes, is running great.  The problem that I
> have just run across is that my head gasket is starting to leak.  No
> problem.... Easy enough fix.  The problem is that I have valve guides that
> need to be replaced and I am wondering if I need to replace the valves,
> springs, etc. at the same time.  Compression is good and the engine does not
> miss a beat; except for that pesky oil that it drinks every day.
>
> I have had the car for two years and the PO said he had reworked the valves.
> I will not argue with that.  But he forgot to check the other parts.

A valve job at a local machine shop would be in order. This was the first
thing I did to my 71BGT after I bought it - it ran great, compression was
good, but it consumed a quart of oil every 200-300 miles.

In my case, they knurled the valve guides, and I did see improvements in
oil consumption afterwards. The machine shop would check the guides,
reseat the valves, and check to see if you need new springs and valves.
The machine shop would probably charge $100-150 for this (just a guess
since its been several years since the last time I did this).

Since I am an excessive driver of Mgs, I would consider this part of the
routine maintenance that you would encounter every 100k-150k miles.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net