Timing Assistance Plz!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing Assistance Plz!
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 09:54:45 -0300
"Time is nature's way of preventing everything from happening at once."

I don't know where I heard that, but it certainly hasn't applied in my life
recently.

The net effect is the '77 is still untouched in the garage, waiting to be
started. This is the weekend! First though, I need some advice - 'cause I'm
a little vague on this art of setting the timing - 'specially when it's
mating the distributor from the 'old' engine into the 'new'.

While the 'new' engine (estimated to be '72 vintage) was on the garage floor
being cleaned, painted etc. I installed the distributor (which worked just
fine on the 'old' engine - estimated to be'74 vintage). Concerned about this
"180 degrees off" thing, I rotated the engine until I saw the values on #4
starting to rock.

When I installed the distributor, the rotor was not pointing to #1, so,
thinking I was "180 out", I rotated the crank until the values started to
rock again - installed the distributor, and sure enough - the rotor was
pointing to approximately where #1 would be. According to all my reference
manuals (Haynes, Bently, Autopress), this puppy's is static timed correctly.

Then why won't it start? There's spark, fuel - all been tested and appear
OK. Yet it cranks, and cranks, and cranks- but won't fire. Won't even sputter?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Terry "Start Me Up" Williams
'70BGT (starts)
'68 roadster (starts)