candid advice on emissions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: candid advice on emissions
From: "Craig C. Wruck" <wruck@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 May 96 07:35:12 -0500
I need some candid advice from you veterans regarding the emissions
equipment for my '77B.  A previous owner removed every last wing nut of
emission control equipment (catalytic converter, fuel filler tube, air pump,
canister, & all else).  In addition the Zenith carb & manifold has been
replaced with an older dual HS4 setup.  The good news is the car runs great
and seems very happy in its altered state.

Here's the rub.  Now that its registered in the city there's an annual
inspection with the usual routine: look for the converter & fuel filler &
sniff the tailpipe.  Of course all of the rest of that stuff is required
even though they don't look for it.

Inspection time is coming up, and I know I've got to restore the converter &
fuel filler at a minimum.  I've talked to a number of local mechanics and
even a couple of Pollution Control Agency people.  The advice is varied and
conflicting but breaks down into two camps:

1)" Restore the converter & fuel filler, tune it up right before the
inspection each year.  When (if ever) you go to sell it simply disclaim the
other missing equipment.  If you restore everything you'll find out that the
18V engine was never meant to pull all that extra weight."

2)" Restore everything including the single manifold & carb.  Not only is it
the law, but you'll find that the whole system was designed to run better in
this finely tuned state.  In fact, you're probably ruining valves & maybe
even diminishing the life of the bearings by running it without."

The vote right now is even.  In fact, one PCA guy is on one side and the
other (off the record of course) is on the other.

Your advice would be appreciated.  You can reply personally if you'd rather.
Craig C. Wruck  -  wruck@maroon.tc.umn.edu
The Saint Paul Foundation - (612) 224-5463